General Health Check-up In Turkey
You may think it is unnecessary visiting a hospital for a routine health screening, especially when you’re feeling good and healthy. However, there could be a scenario when you are being hit by a health hazard that doesn’t show any signs. It could involve factors from daily unhealthy habits to familial predisposition such as inherited diabetes, hypertension, etc.
This is where general health screening plays an important role in the early diagnosis of diseases so that timely treatment can be done. Identifying health issues at an early stage help keeping pace with treatment effectively.
As regular health screening is a basic thing, don’t you think it can be done while holidaying abroad? It would be like “one arrow two targets”. What if the vacationing destination you have chosen, offers affordable health check-up packages?
Stay Healthy While Vacationing In Turkey!
Turkey’s medical tourism offers a variety of healthcare services and general health check-up is one of them. Many tourists opt to have a health check-up while holidaying in Turkey because of reasonable and affordable check-up prices and quality of service received as compared to European and Middle-East countries. Following is a list of factors why people choose Turkey for a general health check-up:
- Team of Healthcare Experts:
– Turkey has a team of well-experienced, highly-trained healthcare experts who are well-versed with the latest, updated techniques.
– These general practitioners keep abreast of the most recent developments and research in healthcare and medicine.
- Hospitals With Well-Equipped Laboratories:
– Turkish hospitals are well-known to deliver trustworthy healthcare services to its patients across the globe.
– The Turkish hospitals have certified well-equipped laboratories.
– For instance, Acibadem hospital has the first laboratory in Turkey to be awarded the ISO 15189 certification.
- Follow-Up Care:
– This is the best part of the staff associated with Turkish hospitals.
– If any patient goes for a routine check-up and diagnosed with any disease, then the doctors evaluate results to the patient face-to-face with enormous care and diligence.
- Thorough Examinations And Tests:
– In a general health screening, doctors perform thorough examinations, various blood tests, and EKG services for appropriate and correct results.
- Provision Of Translators:
– For tourists and international patients, hospitals have provided translators and translation services in different languages.
– Although the doctors and staff are fluent in English, translators in over 40 languages are available including Arabic, German, French, Russian and more.
- Dedicated Staff:
– The staff is quite experienced and dedicated to hospitals.
– They always accompany patients throughout the check-up process.
– Also, the staff official ensures to be available for patients to answer their queries and clear their doubts.
- Digital Records:
– In this era of digitalization, the hospitals store digital records in their database.
– The doctors prefer to save check-up and results digitally.
– It helps in using them again if the patient visits again for check-up or treatment.
- Other Facilities:
– The hospitals have cafes and bars that offer multi-cuisines, foods, and beverages.
– They also have private VIP lounges within the check-up area at the hospital.
– Free WiFi facility so that the person accompanying the patient can browse and check e-mails.
– You can be updated by watching TV, reading newspapers and magazines which are also available at the waiting lounge.
– Proper meals are offered to patients after the tests are conducted for the patients’ wellbeing.
Purpose Of Regular Health Checks
- Decades ago, there were times when people used to visit their doctors only when they were sick or at the stage of dying.
- Today, people have become educated leading to being health-conscious towards their health.
- People even seek medical advice on how to live and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Meanwhile, doctors also suggest their patients for regular check-ups to stay active and fit.
- Regular health checks have the potential to detect early signs of any health issues before they convert into a health problem. Early detection helps in effective treatment far easier, avoiding any risks or complications.
Benefits of regular health check-ups are:
- Early detection of potentially life-threatening diseases
- Increased chances for treatment and cure
- Reduces the risk of getting sick
- Increases lifespan
- Improves health
- Limits risks and complications by monitoring existing health conditions
- Reduces healthcare costs
What To Expect During Regular Health Check-up
Whenever you for a regular health check-up to your general physician, you must be prepared with some basic things such as clinical history, family history, etc. This helps in signaling clear information to your doctor and providing effective treatment.
Clinical History: Clinical history is a set of past reports and results that you must carry along. These reports help your doctor to know your current and past medical history, whether there are signs of any emerging disease or not.
Family History: Family history could have an adverse effect on your current health status. Therefore, it is important to inform your doctor about your family’s medical history and family members suffering from diabetes, heart disease, etc.
Lifestyle: Your current lifestyle is totally reflected in your health. Still, your doctor may ask you questions about your eatery habits, exercise regimen, smoking status, alcohol consumption level. So, be prepared to answer such questions and answer correctly as it is a matter of your health.
Body Mass Index (BMI): Body Mass Index (BMI) is one such factor that calculates weight as per your height. It is highly recommended and should be well-maintained as the bodyweight is directly related to your health. The more it will be, the higher you are susceptible to life-threatening diseases.
Physical Exam: Your doctor may ask you to go for a thorough physical examination which may help in predicting whether you’re healthy or not. This physical examination involves several tests such as blood tests, sugar tests, lipid profile test and more. Based on the results of these tests, your doctor may be able to give you medical advice.
Blood Pressure: Blood pressure is always measured you go to any specialist. It is the top priority. The normal range should be 120/80. If it’s higher than this range, then you are at the risk of high blood pressure.
Counseling: Whenever you make a first-time visit to a doctor, the doctor definitely conducts your counseling which helps in deciding the exact root cause of your health problem, if you have any.
Preparations To Do Before A Health Check-Up
Apart from listing your reports and medical histories, there are other necessary things that need to be done before going for a health check-up.
- Make sure to go empty stomach. At least 10 to 12 hours of fasting is required.
- Do not drink anything other than water.
- If you suspect pregnancy, consult your physician immediately.
- Do not consume medications including iron or Vitamin C.
- For women, do not go for a check-up if you’re on menstruation.
- Do bring your test results and examinations along.
- Avoid using the consumption of foods like beetroot, licorice, red meat, spinach or broccoli in the last two days.
- If your examination includes stress ECG, then do not consume medications including Beta-blockers, Calcium canal blockers, Nitrates, and Digoxin tb.
Type Of Medical Check-up And Its Price In Turkey
There are different check-up packages available according to different requirements and the list is as follows:
Medical Check-Up Package
Cost In Turkey
Male check-up (40 years old and below)
starts from USD 500
Cancer Check-up Program For Men
starts from USD 1,030
Cancer Check-up Program For Women
starts from USD 670
starts from USD 1,200
Basic Check-up Package
starts from USD 290
Basic Check-up For Kids
starts from USD 150
Comprehensive Female Check-up Package
starts from USD 690
General Tests Required For A Regular Health Check-up
A full body check-up usually includes blood tests, urine tests, x-rays, ultrasonography, lung function tests, lipid profile, and cardiology. These tests should be carried out in an accredited laboratory or hospital that is well-equipped to perform diagnostic tests.
Here are some of the tests that are included in a regular health check-up:
- Thorough Physical Exam: This examination includes weight, height, blood pressure, heart rate.
- Haemogram: It includes blood tests to detect the presence of infections, anemia, or any other disease.
- Lipid Profile Test: It is a panel of blood tests to discover the onset of abnormalities in lipids such as cholesterol or triglycerides.
- Liver Function Tests: It is done to discover the functioning status of the liver or diagnose any liver disease.
- Kidney/Renal Function Tests: It is done to evaluate the functioning of kidneys.
- Blood Sugar Tests: This test measures blood sugar levels to identify any sign of diabetes or pre-diabetes.
- Urine Test: It is taken to identify any systematic or metabolic diseases.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): It determines the heart rate and uniformity of heartbeat.
- Chest X-ray: It helps in studying the chest and surrounding area.
- Ultrasonography: It studies the structures in the abdomen such as the abdomen, spleen, gallbladder, pancreas, liver, and kidneys.
Basic Healthcare Check-up That You Can Undertake At Home
Identifying how is your body regulating or functioning on your own is a good option as nobody can understand your body than you. Hence, if you sense any problem within you, there are some home-based check-ups that can help you in testing the functioning level of your body.
- Alcohol: People who have at least two alcohol-free days per week or consume two standard drinks per drinking day have better, long-term health.
- Dental Care: Brushing your teeth twice a day, eating a low-sugar diet reduces the risk of tooth decay, gum disease or tooth loss. Making a visit to a dentist at least once in every six months for professional cleaning or examination increases the life of your teeth.
- Physical Activity: Involving in moderate physical activity or exercising for at least 30 minutes helps in maintaining good health, heart, and bones. This includes brisk walking, exercising, swimming, etc.
- Weight Check: Maintaining a healthy weight has a crucial role in preventing long-term diseases – diabetes, arthritis, etc.
- Smoking Level: Smoking can have a bad impact on your health and convert your body into a diseaseful, shallow body. It gives rise to various diseases in your body such as stroke, lung disease, heart disease, thin bones. Quit smoking as soon as possible if you smoke.
- Skin Checks: If you notice any unusual moles or freckles, go to a doctor or dermatologist immediately.
- Diet: Diet reflects your health. Includes two fruits and five vegetables a day in your diet.
Requirements For Health Check For Heart
The heart is the most sensitive, yet an important organ in the body. It needs extra, special care. Therefore, if you sense any abnormality or a little pain in your heart, consult your physician immediately. After listening to your condition, he may advise the following tests:
- Blood Pressure: The blood pressure level is directly related to your heart. If you are under 40 and living a normal life with no family history of high/low blood pressure, then have your blood pressure checked after every two years. If you’re over 40 with high blood pressure along with family history, then go for regular heart checks and medical advice.
- Blood Tests: Keep your cholesterol levels and blood triglycerides in check. If they are at higher levels, you may be at risk of serious health problems. If you’re 40 years old or above with a family history, then go for regular blood tests to keep your heart condition in check.
- Obesity Tests: Being obese is quite risky and makes your body a home of many health conditions such as cardiovascular disease, diabetes, etc. Have your body mass index (BMI) checked to keep your heart healthy.
- Electrocardiogram (ECG): It is a painless test to study the electrical activity generated by the heart and examine any cardiac abnormalities.
Procedure For A Health Check For Diabetes
Nowadays, diabetes is quite common even among youngsters due to the over-consumption of alcohol, smoking, leading an unhealthy life, and more. Family history is one of the common reasons for the occurrence of diabetes.
Therefore, if you suspect or have a family history, go for diabetes test which includes a fasting blood sugar level test. It measures the amount of glucose in the blood and is usually done before breakfast. It should be done annually depending on how susceptible you are to it.
You may be at risk for type 2 diabetes if you:
- Have a family history of diabetes
- Have pre-diabetes
- Are 45 years or older
- Are overweight or obese
- Are leading an unhealthy, inactive lifestyle
- Have had gestational diabetes in pregnancy
- Have a history of a polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS)
- Have a history of health conditions like heart attack, stroke or chest pain
- Have high blood pressure or cholesterol
Tests Required For A Health Check-Up For Women
Women may have certain health issues if not taken proper care of. Therefore, women must have the following tests timely to avoid any serious health issues:
- Breast Cancer Screening:
– Breast cancer is quite common among women after the age of 50.
– Therefore, women must undergo mammography for breast cancer screening or do self-examination if they experience any possible lumps, distortions, or swelling.
– Although, if any serious problems occur, report it to the doctor immediately.
– Early detection or diagnosis leads to prevention and an easy cure.
- Cervical Screening Test:
– After breast cancer, cervical cancer hits women the most.
– Therefore, Cervical Screening Test (CST) test should be done every five years to detect the presence of human papillomavirus (HPV) infection, the cause of warts in various parts of the body, depending on the strain.
– If your first test happens at the age of 25, then it should be done after the next five years even if the results are normal and you don’t have a family history.
- STI Screening:
– If you’re sexually active, then there are chances that you may get infected through bacteria, viruses, parasites or other sexually transmitted diseases.
– Out of all health issues, chlamydia is one of the diseases that may not cause symptoms.
– Hence, women between the ages of 15 and 29 should undergo STI screening to detect the presence of any sexually transmissible infections, such as HIV/AIDS, or herpes, etc.
– This test is done through a simple urine test and hence, should be taken after a regular time span.
– If you’re planning a pregnancy, then you must have a general check-up before becoming pregnant. Based on the results, you must discuss with your doctor to avoid health risks.
– Also, when you’re pregnant, regular antenatal checks are conducted to monitor your baby’s health and discuss any abnormalities if occur.
– During pregnancy, various tests are performed in the form of scans, ultrasounds, urine tests, blood tests, genetic tests, etc.
These are some tests included in a general check-up for women. However, these tests may vary according to an individual.
Health Checks For Men
Like women, men also need to keep their health in check. This helps in staying healthy and early diagnosis of any health issues.
Prostate Cancer Screening:
– Prostate cancer hits men.
– If you feel signs like frequent urination, blood in the urine, the onset of erectile dysfunction, burning during urination, urge to empty bladder, then you need to seek advice immediately.
– In such cases, you may undergo tests like Digital Rectal Examination (DRE) and Prostate-Specific-Antigen (PSA) blood test.
Colorectal Cancer Screening
– Colon cancer is the second cause of death, mostly among men.
– If you are 50 years or older and haven’t gone for colon cancer screening, then it’s high time you should.
– Your doctor may perform colonoscopy which is painless and takes about 15 to 20 minutes.
– Colonoscopy can detect colon cancer even if it is at its earliest stage.
– Like women, men are also susceptible to get infected by sexually transmitted infections.
– Therefore, it is highly advisable to undergo STI screening, if you’re male and sexually active.
– Melanoma, a serious skin cancer that strikes mostly men than women.
– It mostly attacks the chest and back in men.
– If there is an unusual growth of suspicious dark-colored skin lesions such as moles, blemish or spot, then it is highly recommended to seek medical advice.
– Your doctor may perform a biopsy to diagnose melanoma.
– Like women, men are equally prone to develop diabetes.
– If there is a feeling of thirst, extreme fatigue, frequent urination or blurry vision, then seek medical advice immediately.
Other Health Checks For Males Aged 50 And Above
– Blood pressure level should be checked after every six months
– Dental examination as suggested by a dentist
– Cholesterol check-up after every three to five years even if the results are normal
– A thorough physical examination annually once you reach 65. Also, if you’re at risk of diabetes and hypertension, you should also have a regular eye check-up every year.
Tests For Health Checks For Children
Health Checks At
Other Additional Tests: As your child grows, it is advisable to go for other tests such as
– Pulmonology Tests: A series of breathing tests to measure how well your child’s lungs are functioning. Spirometry is one of the pulmonary function tests to examine the functionality of your child’s lungs.
– Dermatology And Other Allergy Tests: As there are various skin problems that can develop at any stage. If you notice any skin allergies in your child, consult a pediatric dermatologist immediately.
Top Hospitals For General Health Check-up In Turkey
- Medipol International Health Center:
Being one of the major Turkish hospital groups, the hospital keeps abreast of the latest, advanced equipment and technologies. The hospital is designed using a unique healing architecture along with a garden to provide patients a homely environment.
- Memorial Healthcare Group: The group is a web of world-class hospitals treating international patients in Istanbul, Ankara, Antalya, Diyarbakir, and Kayseri. These hospitals are mainly known for cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, oncology, organ transplantation, and IVF.
- Medicana Hospital Group: Medicana group has a major role in Turkey’s healthcare industry. The hospitals under the Medicana group are Joint Commission International (JCI) accredited and provide healthcare services compatible with the standards of the Turkish Ministry of Health.
- Hisar Intercontinental Hospital: Being the nation’s largest private hospital, the hospital provides top-quality healthcare services meeting international standards and patient-oriented environments.
- Acibadem Healthcare Group: Founded in 1991, Acibadem Healthcare group serves international patients in various hospitals across Turkey.
Turkey has well-experienced, highly-qualified check-up specialists who keep abreast of the latest, updated medical technologies and closely monitor their patients to keep them fit and healthy.
Professor Ahmet Dogan is amongst the top-rated check-up specialist in Turkey with over two decades of experience in managing and treating Osteoporosis, Scoliosis, and Arthrosis.